We hadn’t had a ‘pool’ holiday for six years and things had changed a bit. Here are some of the strange sights around the pool…
- a fashion for headscarves which made it look like the hotel was hosting an Amish convention
- white bikinis with black labels (honestly, never seen this before)
- buggies and prams – having avoided ‘family’ hotels like the plague before now this was a new one on me. Most had towels draped over them with an anaemic foot poking out the bottom…
- fully-clothed children – one had a sun safe hat, sun safe full length swimsuit, a buoyancy jacket and surf shoes, and was made to get out of the kiddies splash pool because he took a shoe off (and no, it wasn’t my child, before you ask!)
- Shrek – First Choice appear to have a tie-in with Disney/Pixar and every day, in the heat of the afternoon, either Shrek or the lion from Madagascar (or rather some newbie rep picked on to dress up) would appear in full-padded costume and walk around scaring the kids
- tattoos – nothing strange in themselves but just the sheer number on a wide variety of people ranging from Celtic rings, oriental lettering (do they really know what it says?), poetry, twine around the calves, a small array or animals and cartoon characters, and full back and arm coverings. Actually reminds me of a friend who told of a line from a film in which the female lead said, and I quote badly, ‘the only tattoo I’d ever have is W and W on my butt cheeks so when I bent over I’d have the WOW factor’
- three-legged cats. Actually, weren’t they always there?
- And, to top it all, sunglasses worn backwards…why?!